Sunday, December 21, 2014

MY KINGDOM WORK



My friend Lisa recently shared a powerful story with me.  While talking to another women from her church about some of the challenges she was facing as a mother, her friend stopped, placed her hands on her, and said, "God has been preparing you all of your life for this exact task. Lisa, this is your KINGDOM WORK."  I have been meditating over this message, and new life has been breathed into my dormant dreams. 


Genesis 6: 13-16

So God said to Noah, "I am going to put an end to all people, for the earth is filled with violence because of them.  I am surely going to destroy both them and the earth.  So make yourself an ark of cypress wood: make rooms in it and coat it with pitch inside and out.  This is how you are to build it:  The ark is to be 450 feet long, 75 feet wide and 45 feet high.  Make a roof for it and finish the ark to within 18 inches of the top.  Put a door in the side of the ark and make lower, middle, and upper decks."

Genesis 6:22

Noah did everything just as God commanded him.
 
Genesis 18: 10-14
 
Then the Lord said, "I will surely return to you about his time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son."  Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing.  So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?"  Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, "Will I really have a child, now that I am old? Is anything too hard for the Lord?"


Exodus 3:10-12

"So now, go, I am sending you to Pharaoh to being my people the Israelites out of Egypt."  But Moses said to God, "Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?"  And God said, "I will be with be with you..."

 I am no biblical scholar, but I know that the bible is filled with individuals that have been called by God to complete Kingdom Work.  Ordinary humans that have been asked to accomplish extraordinary tasks. Men and Women that must look past their own shortcomings and focus not on the challenge, but on the Creator.

In my own life, I have allowed fear and doubt to ride shotgun during my journey.  I have heard God clearly speak to me about many areas of my life. But unlike Noah, I have NOT done just as God commanded.  God has not asked me to free anyone from the oppression of a nation, but when he does call me to tend to my work, I respond just as Moses did...Who am I?   There must be some mistake.  Doesn't God know I am a scarred cancer survivor, an overwhelmed single mother, an out of shape middle aged nothing?  YES, YES HE DOES.  The humbling truth is that God has not only equipped me, but HE will also go with me as I obediently follow HIS lead.

As I come to the end of another year, I grow weary of hiding.  God has been calling me to make some mighty changes in my life.  Our Kingdom Work is never easy and will require sacrifice and absolute faith, but it is why we are here on earth as believers.  We are not to conform to the ways of the world and get comfortable and lazy.  We are going to be asked to free people from bondage, build arks of safety, and raise children when we are old and tired.  As you celebrate the birth of Jesus, and ring in 2015, ask God one mighty question...What is my Kingdom Work?  Then, take a deep breath and begin....

1 comment:

  1. Out of shape middle aged nothing? Jamie, I associate the words beautiful and everything with you. Nothing is the polar opposite of you. You have given more positive love in your years than any of is will give in our lifetime. Don't ever say the word nothing about yourself. Your a role model and warrior to us all.

    ReplyDelete