Sunday, April 26, 2015

REAL LOVE

Jake after his Les Miserables performance
 
 

"To love another person is to see the face of God."
-Victor Hugo
 
I anticipated being a proud mother after watching my son on stage.  Nothing could have prepared me for the talent a group of teenagers displayed while bringing to life the story of Les Miserables.  The musical has something for everyone...Love, Revolution, Brotherhood, Death, Heartbreak, and did I mention Love. 
 
Is your love offering contingent on a list of conditions that must be met?  Do you withhold or refuse to love when the going gets rough?  Most importantly, does the love that you share with others bring you closer to God?  With one simple verse sung on a stage, I cringed at the way in which I have loved.
 
I am sorry for every time I made you feel like you weren't enough.  I regret the moments that I was trapped in my own pity.  I wish I would have hugged more and criticized less.  When I felt alone, betrayed, and misunderstood complaints and tears never brought healing. In my own strength, I will continue to practice selfish love that is more concerned with getting than giving. 
 
 God has the power to teach me another way.  Can I live love stories that will put anything penned by Shakespeare or Nicholas Sparks to shame?   Perhaps if I pour out real love over those in my life, then that same gift will be returned.  But it matters little what the other person chooses, because my actions can and will provide heavenly glimpses of God's glowing face.   


No comments:

Post a Comment