Monday, September 13, 2010

MY PARTNER IN PRAYER

My BFF and I are going to be featured in Guideposts Magazine in October.  I sent in the article below and only a few sentences will appear with the picture so I thought I would share the entire piece here.  Hope you have a friend like Christine in your life.


(I wrote this over 2 years ago)

The mornings were the hardest.  As I struggled to get out of bed, I caught a glimpse of a reflection in the mirror over the dresser.  The woman I saw before me was a stranger.  A bald head appeared where dark, curly hair once had grown.  She looked older and thinner than the young mother I remembered.  Her eyes were lifeless and her sorrowful expression made me want to cry.  My haziness cleared and in an instant the truth washed over me.  Next came the fear as I realized that the world I had known had been torn apart.  The darkness so overwhelmed me that I was unable to see the light of hope.

In September 2005, at the age of 33, I had been diagnosed with breast cancer.  Months of surgery and treatment were now behind me, but grief and sadness were my constant companions.  I could barely find the strength to get out of bed much less be a wife or mother to my two small boys.  I was desperate for prayer, but found it impossible to quiet my mind long enough to even articulate my needs.  My distress made me bold, and I asked my college roommate if she would become my prayer partner. 

Christine and I shared the joys of marriage and children and she had helplessly watched as I battled to get well.  Thankful to have some tangible way to support me, she immediately said yes to my request.  I would later learn of her initial misgivings, as she doubted her ability to find the words to guide her suffering friend.  Mornings were hectic at Christine's house as she helped her two children get ready for school and also prepared for her busy day of work.  There was nothing, however, that would prevent her from calling me at 6:45 every morning.

The ringing of the phone would awaken me and the voice of my precious friend was a reminder of how much I was loved.  In the beginning, all I could do was close my eyes and the let the tears flow as she prayed for the coming day.  As I grew stronger, I began to participate voicing my own fears and praises.  We knew from reading the bible that God is present when individuals gather in His name, but we were unaware of how He would richly reward our obedience.  Many mornings Christine would share a verse and I would cry out on the other end of the phone as I found that my bible had been opened to the exact scripture.  Often we would be unable to express our own needs, and yet as we bowed our head, God would deliver the perfect words.  Christine and I knew for certain that He was fully in control.  The world around us would vanish as we eagerly anticipated the daily revelations.

Over the past 5 years, our partnership continues to bless our lives in a multitude of ways.  I have witnessed firsthand how Christine learned to surrender every area of her life and walk forward knowing God will provide.  We have prayed through job stresses, her decision to have a third child, my health issues, and concerns over marriage and motherhood.  Our eyes have been opened to the miracles in our lives as we lift them up in the early hours before the challenges of the world cause us to forget.  Some mornings we laugh, others we cry, but our minutes together continue to be life giving rather than another item to check off our "to do" list.  I am honored when she trusts me with her most private emotions.  I celebrate when her prayers are answered just as if they were my own victories.  She listens without judgement knowing that neither of us holds the answers that we seek.

Our prayer time has given me reason to believe in the promise of the future.  With the rising of the morning sun, I surrender my burdens and desires to the One that is all powerful.  This simple act has given me the freedom to live fully and love deeply.  There are still moments when I grow weary, but when I stumble my friend reaches down and pulls me up with her prayers.  The personal healing that I have experienced serves as proof of the awesome power of both friendship and prayer.  Tomorrow holds hidden discoveries yet to be found, and yet I move forward unafraid knowing I am no longer alone.

Me and Teen

3 comments:

  1. I subscribe to guideposts so i'll be looking forward to seeing it! :) btw-- read your other blogs...I've always said this since your care pages site but goodness girl, you have a gift with words! your writings are powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU BOTH ARE BLESSED!

    ReplyDelete