Wednesday, September 15, 2010

WHERE IS YOUR HEART?

My boys gave me a little porcelain box for Mother's Day a few years ago.  On the top there is a beautiful heart and written underneath is verse Luke 12:34...Where your treasure is, there also is your heart.  I suppose the purpose of the box is for me to store my precious trinkets so they will not get lost.  Life is so complicated these days it is certainly hard to keep track of the things we value most. We get so caught up in daily chores that we forget why we do what we do.  Sacrifices need to be made and the dreams we once had for ourselves are set aside.  Foolishly we believe there will be time later to discover the hidden gems in this world. 

My sister Nicole has the heart of an athlete.  She is super competitive and becomes so focused on the task of winning that sometimes it scares me to play a board game with her. She may be small but she is mighty and I have never known her to back down from a challenge.  My little sister LeeAnn is a born nurturer. When I am with her I just want to crawl into her lap for a cuddle.  The fact that I am quite a bit bigger than her makes that impossible, but after we spend time together I feel loved and nourished.  Beau, her husband, has a special talent for music.  His creative nature helps him communicate through his songs and he possesses an inspiring power over the children that he instructs.  My friend, Laura, loves through food.  She bakes cakes, prepares meals for others, and delivers meals on wheels once a week.  Dinner at her house is like an episode of Top Chef.  She has a talent and flair for cooking and uses it to take care of others.  Lisa is a natural teacher and her patience and spirit allow the children in her class to blossom and grow. Her students are so lucky because she is dedicated to each and every one of them.  These are just a few examples of people in my life that use their essence to bless those around them.

Why is it always easier for others to see the sparkle in us?  Whenever I seem to lose my way my friends and family help me rediscover the me I want to be.  I don't want to tuck away my gifts out of insecurity.  What if I am not good enough?  If I boldly follow my heart will others judge or disagree with my choices? Should I wait until I am perfect before I step out?  What a relief that I have learned that I don't have to be anything other than who God intended me to be.  The real prize of life can be found not by obtaining anything but by giving all of our treasures away. 

1 comment: