Thursday, September 16, 2010

MY SOURCE

Yesterday I was talking to a wise counselor and trying to figure a way out of my latest mess. She said something that took me by surprise..."Jamie, you are going to be okay, because God is your source for everything."  Tears welled up in my eyes, a chill ran down my spine, and finally I felt as if I could take a deep breath.

People often comment that I am a strong person because I have faced tragedy.  I smile outwardly, but inside I am laughing because I know the truth.  I am a wimp and if I were able to I would wallow in self-pity most days.  Someone early in my life planted a seed of faith and over time it has grown and God won't allow me to live in ignorance any longer.  When I am in trouble I know where I need to go for comfort.  I have tested God and He has never failed me.

We are all looking for something.  We are all in need.  Some people look to personal relationships to make them complete.  Perhaps your position at work gives you a sense of power.  Maybe the money you have earned allows you to feel successful.  Your beautiful outward appearance gets you noticed wherever you go.  The size and shape of your muscles serves as a tangible example of your strength.  Being popular and well liked gives you a high.  You find self worth when your children and spouse are thriving. What happens if it all falls apart?  Let's say your spouse leaves you, you become unemployed and struggle to pay the bills, an illness robs you of your health, the bloom of youth fades, a close friend betrays you, or one of your children begins to struggle and gets off course.  I have faced all of these and learned that NOTHING of this world has the power to destroy you. Every thing around you is temporary and it will change in the blink of an eye.

Today, I just want to plant a seed in you.  Spend some time thinking about where you find power.  What keeps you moving when you become discouraged?  What would you do if that was gone?  Where would you go next?  Don't keep visiting an empty well when you are thirsty....make sure your source has the ability to sustain your life.  I have suffered great loss over the years, but what remains will last me a lifetime and beyond.

Let your light shine!!!
 

1 comment: