Monday, September 13, 2010

NO EXCUSE FOR ME

"Jake, can you put your ice cream bowl in the sink?"  No comment from Jake although I know he heard me.  Passing by to put some laundry in the washing machine...I notice the bowl still on the coffee table.  "Jake, I asked you to put the bowl in the sink."  Jake walks over and puts the bowl on the counter and returns to the
couch to watch his show.  Exiting the laundry room, I notice the dirty bowl is now on the counter no where near the sink.  "Jake, I told you to put the bowl in the sink."  Without looking away from the TV he says, "I did."  "No, you put it on the counter...I am looking at it right now," I reply with an impatient tone.  "Well, that is where I usually put my dirty dishes so I figured that is where you wanted the bowl."  Now I am ready for action, "if I wanted the bowl on the counter I would have asked you put it on the counter, but I said Jake can you put the bowl in the sink."  "Well, it is right by the sink, Mom, what's the big deal."  Reluctantly he gets up walks to the counter, picks up the bowl, and puts it in the sink all the way mumbling to himself as to why he did not do what I had asked of him. In the moment it is not too funny, but afterwards I always have a good laugh because the apple certainly does not fall too far from the tree. 

I have an excuse locked and loaded for anything I don't want to do.  Here are some examples:  Issue #1:  Stomach shakes when I brush my teeth.  Possible excuses:  two c-sections, medication, menopause, and genetics.  Nothing to do with eating or lack of exercise.  Issue #2:  House needs to be cleaned.  Possible excuses:  what kind of mother would I be if I spent my time cleaning instead of being with the children, it makes me sad to stay in all day and not get to see or talk to anyone (that is why I need to go to Target with my friend), and the house will just get dirty again anyway so just let it go.  Issue #3:  I need to call that person (insert a variety of names here) that has been trying to get in touch with me.  Possible excuses:  I should be spending time with my children instead of talking on the phone, my house needs to cleaned, I need to go exercise so that my stomach won't jiggle when I brush my teeth.  Wow...this all seems like just too much to do so I think I will take a break and watch a show on DVR.  And so the cycle continues of Jamie being stuck in the world of if onlys, buts, and my favorite I can't

Just like Jake I don't mean to be openly defiant and sometimes I manage to get close to the goal, but I can rationalize why I have to stop just short of actually doing what God has asked of me.  Perhaps it is too hard, it might require a sacrifice on my part, or I might actually have to face some difficult truths about myself.  And of course there is always a chance I will FAIL.  Why take the risk when I can live in my comfortable little world under a cozy blanket with my friends fear and denial?  Seriously, is anyone gonna fault me for taking a little break from being obedient?  I have had some tough stuff happen in my life and I just need a little break.   While I am sitting here doing nothing, however, I would still like to experience all the benefits that come with  hard work.  I desire success, joy, peace, victory, transformation, health, love, and prosperity to follow me all the days of my life.  I am ashamed that God has given me everything and yet I still make excuses for why  I cannot do what he has asked of me.  How powerful would each of us be if we walked the path that has been set before us, used the amazing gifts we possess, and refused to give anything less than everything. 

...with God all things are possible. (Matthew 19:26) What's your excuse?

3 comments:

  1. Love it! I can see God nodding and smiling...using your gifts. So powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erika McKnight ViallTuesday, September 14, 2010

    Jamie,
    As I read through all of your posts yesterday I came to the realization that 1)you are an amazing person using what you have gone through to change other people's life and way of thinking for the better and 2)that often times I use excuses and take the easy way out instead of sticking to what I know I should be doing. Thank you so much for this blog and the inspiring thoughts in it. I am sure anybody reading it will find it life changing, humorous, eye opening, etc. God is truly shining down on you! We should all count our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks...now I am looking at my belly, dirty house, piled up laundry....u rock! Guess I will do something productive today.

    ReplyDelete